At Colonsay School WE BELIEVE the primary purpose for all assessment and evaluation experiences is to support and improve student learning while informing teacher instruction.
Guiding Principles of Student Asseement
- Include only academic achievement; Exclude student behaviours in grades (effort, participation, attendance, adherence to class rules, etc.). Report academic achievement and behaviour separately.
- Organize and report evidence by student learning outcomes; avoid organizing information in grading books/records by assessment methods or simply summarize into a single grade.
- Provide clear descriptions of achievement expectations/learning outcomes; in student friendly language.
- Compare each student’s performance to preset student learning outcomes; avoid assigning grades based on student’s achievement compared to other students.
- Rely on quality assessments that show evidence of individual learning.
- Summarizing information and determining final grade.
- Consider the measures of central tendency and use professional judgment; refrain from relying exclusively on the mean.