School Community Council
Colonsay School Community Council will support the school, the family and the community in promoting academic excellence, encouraging social development, fostering emotional well being and instilling a passion for life-long learning.
Keys to Successful Partnerships
- Assist families with parenting skills and setting home conditions to support children as students.
- Assist schools to better understand families.
- Conduct effective communications from school-to-home and from home-to-school about school programs and student progress.
- Organize volunteers and audiences to support the school and students.
- Provide volunteer opportunities in various locations and at various times.
Learning at Home
- Involve families with their children on homework and other curriculum-related activities and decisions.
- Include families as participants in school decisions and develop parent leaders and representatives.
Collaborating with the Community
- Coordinate resources and services from the community for families, students and the school, and provide services to the community
Meetings and Members
Meetings are held once a month on an agreed upon date. The Annual General Meeting is held in the spring. Approximately one-half of the representatives for a two-year term, are elected at the AGM.
Members are elected from the community each serving a 2-year term. Appointed members include the principal, vice-principal, staff representative, board representative, and SRC representative.
Current Community Members 2016-17: Blair Holland (Chair), Brian Steckler (Vice-Chair), Jennifer Hollman, Carlotta Hooghiem, Roy Sutherland, Keith Hall, Mark Hobman and Sierra Quirk.