DALMENY HIGH SCHOOL
P.O. Box 430, Dalmeny, Sask. SOK 1EO
Phone: (306) 254-2036 Fax: (306) 254-2759
Principal: Andrew Merryweather Vice Principal: Josh Janzen Secretary: Karen Pauls
Newsletter #2, February, 2017
Looking Ahead 2017
February 3 – Report Cards – Grade 10-12
February 15 – Grade 10 – 12 Phys Ed Table Mountain trip
February 20 – 24 – Winter Break – No Classes
February 27 – Back to School, Day “F”
March 22 – Parent/Teacher Interviews
March 24 – No Classes – Prep Day
March 27 – No Classes – Day in Lieu of parent/teacher interviews
March 31 – Report Cards – Grade 7-9
April 13 – Report Cards – Grade 10-12
April 14 – Good Friday – No Classes
April 17 – 21 – Easter Break
April 24 – Back to School, Day “C”
May 5 – Dalmeny High Track Meet
May 18 – Conference Track Meet – Saskatoon
May 19 – No Classes – Prep Day
May 22 – Victoria Day – No Classes
May 26 – District Track Meet – Saskatoon
June 2-3 – Provincial Track Meet – Saskatoon
June 5 – No Classes – Prep Day
June 23 – 28 – Final Exams for Semester 2 – Grade 10 – 12
June 29 – No Classes – Graduation
June 30 – Pick up Report Cards
The following is a link to the 2016/17 Calendar 2016/17 School Calendar
1. Grade 11 and 12 students: Having the ability to speak a second language can open the door to many exciting career opportunities. Exploreis a five-week French language bursary program that allows participants to discover another region of Canada while learning French. Priority for bursaries is given to first-time applicants. Students may apply for the program after having completed at least Grade 11 before the start of the program. The deadline for applications is February 15th, 2017.
2. Are you looking for a great experience this summer? The Saskatchewan Co-operative Youth Program offers a unique leadership training opportunity each July & August called the Co-op Camp. It’s a leadership program for youth ages 12 to 18 and is a great opportunity for personal development, leadership training, co-operative education, recreation and lots of fun with participants spending a week at Candle Lake or Last Mountain Lake. http://youth.sask.coop/scyp_camp_dates.html
3. The 2017 edition of Relevance Magazine: Career Options for Your Future is now available online https://www.saskcareers.ca/relevance The theme this year is Transitions, and included are articles, tips, profiles, links, resources to help you do just that as well as the 2017 Job Chart!
4. Are you interested in being a Counsellor-in-Training this summer? Camp Easter Seal is looking for students in grades 10-12 who would like training to work as a Special Needs Counsellor. You would be trained to work with individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities. Many students use this program to explore a career in human services. Colleges such as Social Work, Nursing and Education consider the volunteer hours that students accumulate at Camp when they apply for post-secondary education. Click for more information.
5. Youth Action Summit – April 29th Regina – taking youth ideas to help make the world a better place of themselves and others. For more information, visit bit.ly/YAS2017
6. Deadline for the Automotive Skills Boot camp application is Wed Feb 15th. See Mrs. Dament for an application.
7. Web Development Skills Boot Camp for students in Gr 10,11,12 – Application deadline Wed Mar 1st – 8 sessions at the U of S Campus in the Computer Science Building. Mrs. Dament has application for
8.Health Line – A one-day event to expose Gr10 and 11 students to health care sector careers through hand on activities and short presentations. Deadline Mon March 6th applications available from Mrs. McLean or Mrs. Dament
9. Spotlight on Careers for Gr 11 and 12 students: If you are interested in any of the following careers you may have an opportunity to spend a day exposed to the educational and industry component of that career. Applications available from Mrs. Dament Deadline Tues March 7.
Power Engineering, Chemical Technology, Computer Science, Dentistry, Dental Hygiene, Culinary Arts, Hotel Management, Mental Health and addictions, Fine Arts and Graphic Design, Engineering, Interior Design, Architectural Technology, Machining, Agriculture Equipment, Heavy Equipment Tech, Pharmacy, and Pharmacy Tech.
Sr. Math Teacher, Career Counsellor
Scholarship in Memory of Cassidy Gosling
A Memorial Scholarship has been set up for Cassidy Gosling through the Competitive Entrance Scholarships at the University of Saskatchewan. The value is $1000 to be awarded annually. The following are the terms of reference: The academic achievement award is to provide financial assistance, and recognize a student for their compassion towards animals through volunteerism/memberships, as well as their involvement and compassion for youth in need, and/or a demonstrated involvement in music and art, who intend to pursue a degree in Law.
The scholarship is funded through donations. If anyone wishes to donate to help keep Cassidy’s dream alive, donations can be made in the following manner:
Send a Cheque to the University of Saskatchewan
c/o Erin Walkey,
Major Gifts Officer,
College of Arts and Science Arts 513 Arts Building 9
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A5
Junior Girls Basketball:
The Junior Girls have faced much adversity with many injuries and sickness. This has made even a stronger bond with the remaining players and much personal improvement. The girls played with so much heart in the last three tournaments and ended up defeating Clavet and Vanscoy in the process.Good luck to the players as we take on Stobart in the first round of play offs today.
Senior Girls Basketball:
It has been a very busy month of January for the Senior girls. We have played some very tough teams along the way and have much improved our overall skill level. In our home tournament we managed to play tough against Hague and Hepburn and defeated Stobart in our final game.We will be playing a few more games during the month of February and this weekend we travel to Delisle for an opportunity to play Hepburn once again.
February 15th – Table Mountain Ski/ Snowboarding Trip – PE – 10-12
April 6th – Vimy Ridge Centenary Project and displays (grade 12 History and ELA)
April 28th – Fun day – Grade 11 PE class and SRC.
May 5th – Dalmeny High Local Track Meet
May 18th – Conference B Track and Field – Saskatoon
May 26th – District Track and Field Meet- Saskatoon
June 2, 3rd– Provincial Track and Field Meet- Saskatoon
Coach and Teacher