DALMENY HIGH SCHOOL
P.O. Box 430, Dalmeny, Sask. SOK 1EO
Phone: (306) 254-2036 Fax: (306) 254-2759
Principal: Andrew Merryweather Vice Principal: Josh Janzen Secretary: Karen Pauls
Newsletter #8, October, 2016
October 7 – No Classes – Prep Day
October 10 – Thanksgiving – no classes
October 12 – Grad Parent Meeting
October 19 – Parent/Teacher Interviews
October 26 – Picture Retakes
November 4 – Report Cards – Grade 10-12
November 10 – Remembrance Day Program
November 11 – Remembrance Day – No Classes
November 14 – No Classes – Prep Day
November 15 – No Classes – Day in Lieu
November 18 – Report Cards – Grade 7-9
December 1, 2, 3 – High School Musical Production
December 21 – Last day of school before the Christmas Break, Banquet
January 3 – Back to school, Day “C”
January 24 – 27 – Final Exams for Semester 1 – Grade 10-12
January 30 – No Classes – Prep Day
February 3 – Report Cards – Grade 10-12
February 20 – 24 – Winter Break – No Classes
February 27 – Back to School, Day “F”
March 22 – Parent/Teacher Interviews
March 24 – No Classes – Prep Day
March 31 – Report Cards – Grade 7-9
April 13 – Report Cards – Grade 10-12
April 14 – Good Friday – No Classes
April 17 – 21 – Easter Break
April 24 – Back to School, Day “C”
May 19 – No Classes – Prep Day
May 22 – Victoria Day – No Classes
June 5 – No Classes – Prep Day
June 23 – 28 – Final Exams for Semester 2 – Grade 10 – 12
June 29 – No Classes – Graduation
June 30 – Pick up Report Cards
The following is a link to the 2016/17 Calendar 2016/17 School Calendar
On October 19 from 3:15 – 8:00, we will be hosting parent/teacher interviews. Please call the office if you would like to book an interview. (306-254-2036) You may meet with teachers individually or as a group, whichever you prefer.
The Cougar Cave will be open every day from 8:30-8:45 and 12:12-12:30. We are selling a variety of foods including snacks and also lunch items. All the proceeds will go towards anything that will benefit the students’ education.
- The fall Insight event at Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon will be held on November 16th, 2016. Insight Saskatchewan Polytechnic is available to students in grades 11 and 12 as well as high school graduates.
Participating Programs for Insight
- Agricultural Equipment Technician Auto Body Technician BioScience Technology
- Carpentry (Applied Certificate) Early Childhood Education (Diploma) Educational Assistant Electronic Systems Engineering Technology
- Fabricator/Welder Hotel and Restaurant Management Industrial Mechanics Library and Information Technology Machinist Parts Management Technician Power Engineering Technology Practical Nursing Primary Care Paramedic
- Recreation and Community Development Welding
- Aboriginal students in grade 11 and 12: Are you considering a career in the areas of finance or management? Would you like the chance to enjoy a 5-year scholarship valued at over $5000, travel to Calgary, to attend the ceremony at the AFOA Canada National Conference on Feb 6-10 2017, and meet like-minded Aboriginal youth from various parts of Canada? Then apply for the AFOA Scholarship today! The deadline for applications is Nov 25th 2016.
- Spotlight on healthand science & technology on MONDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2016 from 9:30 am to 11:45 am at VIDO (Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization)Intervac Centre on the University of Saskatchewan campus See Mrs Dament for applications deadline Oct 14th
- Spotlight on Medical Diagnosticson WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2016 from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm at Sask Polytechnic and the Saskatoon City Hospital. See Mrs. Dament for applications deadline Oct 14th
- In recognition of young people 14 – 17 years of age who demonstrate outstanding service, positive contributions, notable deeds, bravery or leadership, the Vimy Foundation has created the Vimy Pilgrimage Award. Exceptional Canadian youth who have served their peers, schools, communities, province or country are eligible. The Award consists of a fully funded, week-long educational program in Europe to study Canada’s tremendous First World War effort. Scheduled April 7 – 16, 2017, the program will include classroom education and daily field trips to significant WWI sites and memorials. Submit a 500 word essay why you would be worthy of the award and two letters of support. Applications must be submitted by November 11th, 2016.
- The Duke of Edinburgh Award Program is one of individual challenge to nurture inner pride and empower young leaders. It offers young people a balanced, non-competitive program of extra-curricular activities that encourages personal discovery and growth, self-reliance, perseverance, responsibility to themselves and service to their community. The Award also acts to provide high quality learning opportunities that guide young people to be motivated, learn how to communicate, become organized and become independent through a program of goal setting, confidence and responsibility. It looks great on a resume or scholarship application and it is fun to do! In addition, students can receive a Special Project Credit for each of the 3 levels they complete of the Program if they would like – which would count towards the 24 high school credits they require to graduate (SPC 10 for Bronze, SPC 20 for Silver, and SPC 30 for Gold) but doing it for credit is not required. See Mrs. Dament for more information.
- Encounters With Canada is a unique opportunity for Canadian teens to meet other young people from across the country. Spend an adventure-filled week in your nation’s capital! https://www.ewc-rdc.ca/pub A variety of themes are available to choose from: Arts and Culture, Canada Remembers, Democracy and Youth, First Responders, Experience Canada, International Relations, Journalism and Communications, Law and Justice System, Medicine and Health, Science and Ecology, Science and Technology, Sports and Fitness and Vimy: Canada’s coming of Age. Each theme has its own week. The cost is $675 and includes travel to and from Ottawa, accommodations, meals and all programs costs.
- Forum For Young Canadians Ages 15-19 http://forum.caAre you smart, ambitious, and political? Do you want to be part of your community and your country’s future? Get involved now! Forum for Young Canadians presents a fun and valuable opportunity to meet other young Canadians like you during a week-long behind-the-scenes experience in the world of federal politics on Parliament Hill. You’ll meet Members of Parliament, Senators and other leading figures in government and the public service. $895 participation fee covers, transportation to Ottawa, accommodations and meals for your week long stay. Three different week sessions are being offered in February 26 to Mar 3, 2017 March 12 to March 17, 2017, March26 to March 31, 2017
- College of Kinesiology Aquatics Program: is looking to hire and train lifeguards and swim instructors. Check out the website www.recservices.usask.ca or call Kim Jones at 306-966-1011 or 306 966-1003
- New Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course (YWRCC) Now Available Online
a. An updated YWRCC is now available online. The YWRCC is a job readiness course that teaches young workers about their rights and responsibilities that relate to health, safety, and employment standards in the workplace. All fourteen and fifteen year-olds who want to work in Saskatchewan are required to take the YWRCC and obtain their certificate prior to beginning any employment.
- The new course is highly interactive and engages young workers with games, animation, and videos. Some additional changes include having a high bandwidth and a low bandwidth version to accommodate all internet-users. The new course will take approximately two to three hours to complete and students can now log in and out of the course by creating their own user account. There is also a paper and pencil version available for those that are unable to take the course online
Sr. Math Teacher, Career Counsellor
This year’s initial project will be A Gift of Warmth where we will reach outside of our little community and share with others. We are organizing a Winter Clothing Drive where students and families can donate their clean and gently used but out-grown or extra mitts, toques, winter coats, boots, and scarves. We will also accept warm sweaters and ski pants in good condition.
The We Day Team will sort and organize the donations according to size and deliver them to a partner school in Saskatoon. Our partner school will be one where many students and their families cannot afford or gain access to warm winter clothing for a variety of reasons. The school may also have new immigrant families with whom we can share these donations and make their Canadian welcome just a little more personal. We look forward to cementing our partnership and announcing the name of our partner school soon!
Please consider donating items from your home to our A Gift of Warmth campaign and let’s show these high school kids how a few can make a HUGE difference!
Donations can be dropped off at the school commencing October 3, 2016.
Let’s make this year a We Year to remember, DHS!!!
Fire Prevention Week
Open House – Dalmeny Fire Hall
Burgers, Hot dogs, Drinks & Donuts – by donation
Come see the new fire engine and meet your local firefighters / first responders
Fire Prevention Week
Prizes, Prizes, Prizes
It’s fire prevention week – and we want your help Dalmeny High School Students!
We need you to check the smoke detectors in your house! And if you do, and you prove it to us, you can win some great prizes….
So how does this work?
We want you to take a video of yourself checking the smoke detectors in your house, and not just one of them, all of them – so push the test button on your smoke detector to see if it goes off and if the batteries are working. Also make sure to check the date on the smoke detector to see when they expire. Be creative with your video…Then take and upload that video and send it to: email@example.com
Deadline for submitting your videos are 10:00p.m. – Oct. 13th!
Your video will be entered into a draw for:
$50.00 visa gift card
$25.00 gift card to What’s on Third
$25.00 gift card to What’s on Third
Prizes will be drawn Friday Oct. 14th, and announced that day…
Dalmeny Fire / Rescue