Career Safety Education: Saskatchewan becomes the first jurisdiction in North America to offer universal career focused, industry specific safety training, completely free to all youth age 14-21. This includes training in worker rights and responsibilities through the Young Worker Readiness Course (WorkSafe), training in basic chemical safety through WHMIS 2015(Saskatchewan Safety Council), and a standardized industry designed safety orientation. To find more information you can visit our website: http://www.sasksafety.org/training/youth/career-safety-education Video Link: https://youtu.be/kBvNxINxQ7M
Students and parents alike are encouraged to check out the Prairie Spirit “Future Choice” website at www.futurechoice.ca — documents such as Grade 11 or 12 timelines, career planning guides and more can be accessed under the “Students” tab as well as the “Parents” tab.
- Saskatchewan Universities and Technical Institutions Liaison (SUTIL) Event
MHS is pleased to host our sixth annual “SUTIL Booths Only” event the evening of Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2017. SUTIL is the Saskatchewan Universities and Technical Institutions Liaison and provides an opportunity for parents/guardians and students to interact with recruiters from various postsecondary institutions and programs. The event will be held in conjunction with our Parent-Teacher Interview night (5:30 to 8:00 p.m.) on Nov. 22 and provides a great opportunity to ask questions, pick up recruitment materials and start planning for after high school! So far we have confirmed the following list of participating institutions:
Centre for Arts & Technology (Kelowna, BC)
Lakeland College (Vermillion, AB)
Saskatchewan Apprenticeship & Trade Certification Commission
Saskatchewan Polytechnic (formerly “SIAST”)
University of Regina
University of Saskatchewan
First Nations University of Canada
St. Thomas More (University of Saskatchewan)
RCMP Proactive Recruiting
- University of Saskatchewan – The U of S application for 2017/2018 is now live! The deadline to apply for Agriculture & Bioresources, Education, Edwards School of Business, Engineering, and Kinesiology is February 15, 2017. See Ms. Cooper to register!
- University of Saskatchewan – The last day to apply for admission to be eligible to apply for Competitive Entrance Awards is February 15, 2017.
- University of Saskatchewan – The deadline to apply for Competitive Entrance Awards is March 1, 2017.
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic – Students wanting to apply for a First Qualified/First Admitted Program should apply as soon as possible.
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic – The deadline for students applying for the SCBScN or High Demand programs is February 15, 2017.
SCHOLARSHIPS & BURSARIES
1. All students: Take some time to set up an account or profile on the following databases for scholarships: Scholarships Canada, yconic and Student Scholarships! There are lots of scholarships out there, it just takes some time to find them and fill out application forms!
CAREER-RELATED EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Culinary Skills Bootcamp: Do you love cooking? Do you want to learn more about culinary skills? If you answered yes, then the Culinary Skills Bootcamp sponsored by the SIEC is for you. The program starts on February 13 and runs for 12 weeks. The deadline to apply is January 25, but spots are limited so apply early. See Ms. Cooper for more information or to apply.