Halloween Information: Read and take the quiz! http://www.5minuteenglish.com/oct29.htm
Even more information about Halloween: http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Themes/halloween/halloween.html
Students will be doing research about Halloween and creating posters for the classroom with their information. Topics will be assigned in class.
- Why is it called “Halloween”?
- Why is Halloween on October 31st?
- Why do people dress in costumes for Halloween?
- Why do people go trick or treating on Halloween?
- Why do we carve pumpkins for Halloween?
- Who started celebrating Halloween?
- Why does Halloween take place in the fall?
- What are some examples of “tricks” that people play at Halloween?
- What are some types of “treats” that people receive on Halloween?
- How has Halloween changed over the years into the celebration we know today?
In social 4/5 we have been continuing our study of world geography. First, we worked on learning how to use Google Earth, then we learned about the continents, oceans, and hemispheres. We are now learning the basics of how precipitation, temperature, and population can be related to geographical locations.
Have a great long weekend!
Elementary students should have taken home information last week about assigned meeting times, while parents of students in grades 7-12 can call the office to schedule meetings for Parent-Teacher Interviews! Our first one is this Thursday, see you then!
On Wednesday, Sept 27 the SRC has planned a pajama day! So wear your comfiest pajamas to school that day! And we have ANOTHER Spirit day on Friday, with the theme being sporting outfits. There will be activities in the gym at noon for students as well! Friday is also our Terry Fox Walk in the afternoon, so students should be prepared to go for a walk outside.
In grade 4/5 social studies we have been learning about different ways to view our world. We have explored using Google Earth and it is really cool! We have also drawn a map of Colonsay and worked with maps of the world.
I’m looking forward to meeting all of my new students later today! We are starting the morning off with a whole school assembly, and hopefully everyone enjoys the activities that the SRC has organized for us!