Happy Mid Summer! There are Four unmissable concerts over the coming days happening in and around the University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) featuring some of the best musicians in the world. All of the concerts are either free or admission by donation.
- Tonight (Thursday August 9th) – World Class Recital featuring: Glyn Williams (Euphonium) Helen Williams (Flugel Horn) Al Kay (Trombone) Dr. Michelle Colton (Percussion) and a faculty Quintet also featuring Dean McNeill and Aaron Bueckert (Trumpet) 7:00pm at Convocation Hall (U of S Campus)
- Friday August 10th – An Evening with Al Kay, featuring the Gerard Weber Group. 8:30pm at 2nd Avenue Grill, An evening of Jazz for all Ages.
- Saturday August 11th – Brass Band Gala Concert featuring Helen Williams and Michelle Colton 7:00pm at Quance Theatre in the Education Building (UofS)
- Sunday August 12th – Percussion Gala Concert 1:00pm, Quance Theatre
See below for more information and hope to see some of you there!
Hope you are enjoying the start to the summer. If you want to do some playing, improve your musical ability, meet new people while having a great time check out the Saskatchewan Band Association Band Camps. It is not too late to register if you are interested and they are fantastic day camps.
They are held in different places across the province. For more info check out this link:
Senior Students – All Course work/Skills due by June 25th (can be emailed)
- Grade 10-25 45 Skills 3 concert Reviews
- Grade 7-9 30 Skills 1 concert Review
Grade 6 – Instrument return Grade 6 – Continuing Music Education
All Grade 6 students that have borrowed instruments and will not be continuing instrumental music next year need to return the instruments to the music room at their home school.
- The instruments must be cleaned and in the state they were given by Monday June 25th.
- Please attach your name on a piece of paper in/on the case to give us a quicker route to knowing who has returned their instruments.
Hope you made the most of the great weather today and enjoyed the weekend. Huge congratulations to Kenton and Kira Simonson who took part in the first ever Saskatoon Youth Honour Brass this past weekend. They joined students from 15 different schools in and around Saskatoon.
A reminder to any grade 6 interested in coming to the Division Open Rehearsal this coming Wednesday. Please confirm attendance tommorow to your school Admin assistant so we can judge numbers for Bowling and Pizza. The bus permission form has to be handed in by Wednesday to attend but confirmation MUST be made tomorrow if you wish to come.
For Seniors needing a concert to review for their coursework, younger students to be inspired or just a great show to come watch, come support our 6 fantastic Prairie Spirit School Division Students taking part in a HUGE concert at Centennial Collegiate.
6 students from Prairie Spirit East and West are taking part in the first every Saskatoon Youth Honour Brass featuring Highschool students from 15 different schools! See below poster! Have a fantastic weekend wherever you are!
Congrats to our West Music Program on their fantastic concert last night and thanks to the East students that made the trip to Martensville.
Inviting all interested grade 6’s: June 6th Division Hub Open House
Grade 6 – Division Hub Open House
All current Grade 6’s are invited to come join and experience the final Division Hub Classes of the year on June 6th at Allan School.
Following the completion of the grade 5/6 instrumental portion of their K-9 music education, students are invited to continue on their instruments through joining the 7-12 music education classes at their homeschool and/or Division Rehearsals bi-weekly (weds) at Allan school. ALL students will however continue the music portion of Arts education to completion with their homeroom teacher or other in grades 7-9.
Why join Division classes?
- Diversity of playing options not limited to your current instruments (see second page)
- Collaboration with students from across the division
- Opportunity to Travel for Trips, Tours and special events
- Opportunity to work with world class clinicians
- Working with multiple instructors at the Division Hub Classes
- Growth: Personal, physical, emotional, cognitive, and social
June 6th Schedule
- 12pm – Students are bussed from their home school with the seniors to Allan
- 1pm – Welcome
- 1:15pm – Winds Rehearsal
- 1:45pm – Break out activities – students will rotate to experience all ensembles offered at Division Classes (see page 2 for more details)
- 3:15 Bowling and Pizza at Allan Bowl – Kindly donated by the Band Parents Association
- 5:00pm Depart
- What to Bring: Your instrument, Music, Pencil, water bottle
PERMISSION FORM : Please complete and return to your school admin assistant by June 4th
I approve of my child __________ To ride the bus to Allan School on June 6th
Date: Parent/Guardians Signature:
What a great evening! Thanks to everyone for a fantastic concert and congratulations to the Grade 5/6 Music students, RhythmBox, Senior Winds and special guests Stone Frigate Big Band. Pictures to follow.
Thanks again to our wonderful and supporting staff/Admins at our 7 East Schools and Clavet for hosting.
- Anyone that wants an encore is welcome at the West Division Concert at Martensville Highschool this coming Wednesday at 7pm.
- All Grade 6’s are invited to the last Division Band rehearsal on June 6th. More Info to follow
We look forward to seeing everyone in their homeschool classes this week.
The Spring concert is just 31 hours away!
We desperately still need parents to help supervise the grade 5/6 students before the concert (while other groups rehearse) and at the start directing 5/6 to seats. Please let me know if you can help.
Please see the bus times to take students to Clavet for tomorrows concert. Remember to bring concert dress (Black pants/skirt, white top/blouse/dress shirt, Black smart shoes) and supper to eat at Clavet.
Seniors please help the grade 5/6 students
- Clavet students will help set up after school and before their rehearsals.
Bus #1 – Kessa Monar – Colonsay – 3:10p.m.; Allan – 3:25p.m. – Clavet – ONE WAY ONLY
Bus #2 – Gary Grady – Hanley – 3:05p.m.; Dundurn-3:25p.m.; SCP-3:45p.m. – Clavet – ONE WAY ONLY
Bus #3 – Walter Martens – 3:05p.m. – Aberdeen – Clavet – ONE WAY ONLY
Hope you are enjoying the long weekend.
Just over a week until our Spring Concert in Clavet.
Grade 5/6 should be working on: Jester Dance, Dr. Rock, Lesson 1 and Lesson 2 (solid state and first blues)
There is no In-Division tour this coming week May 24th/25th. There is Division rehearsal at Allan on the 23rd However.
All Senior Students from East and West are invited to attend both concerts the following week May 28th at Clavet School and May 30th at Martensville High School. East Students will be bussed to Clavet but will need to arrange transportation to Martensville.
Dear Students, Parents and Guardians,
The Spring concert is just around the corner, please see the information below and we look forward to seeing you there!
Where: Clavet School (Site 510, Box 15, RR5, Saskatoon, SK S7K 3J8)
When: All students will be picked up after school and taken directly to Clavet school so we can have a quick on stage rehearsal and get everything set up beforehand. Remember to bring a packed supper and concert dress!
- Bus 1: Colonsay, Allan
- Bus 2: Aberdeen
- Bus 3: Hanley, Dundurn and SCP
- Grade 5/6: Lesson 1 (all), Lesson 2 (First Blues/Solid State), Jester Dance, Dr. Rock
- RhythmBox: Begin Transmission, Low Tide, A Tres of Bells, Drumline.
- Song Class: tbd
- Division Band: Critical Mass, Rippling Watercolors, Arabian Dance, (Turkish March)
- Doors to the concert hall will open at 6:30PM and there will be drinks in the lobby beforehand.
- Special Guests: Stone Frigate Big Band are performing as guest artists.
- Students will NOT be bussed back to their schools. Parents need to pick them up after and drive them home.
Parent Volunteer Request
- We urgently need parent volunteers to help supervise rooms before the concert starts. If you are available, please email Mr. Martin or Mr. Thompson.
Please do not hesitate in contacting either band director with any questions or concerns.