I’m excited to invite students to select their courses for the 2020-2021 school year. It is important for you to know that we may need to make changes to these plans as health and safety restrictions are released by the provincial government. But since there are only two weeks of the school year left thought, it’s time to get crackin’!
Typically, I would have spent time with each group of students, explaining the course offerings for the upcoming year. I have tried to capture the important details of the Course Offerings 2020 document and in the instructions in the online form for each grade. I am certain however, that many of you will have questions. To that end, I have set up two opportunities for parents and/or students to drop in to an online call and ask me any questions you might have. If those times don’t work for you, I am of course happy to speak with you anytime or answer your emails.
The opportunities for online drop in Q&A sessions are:
- Wednesday, June 17th at 7pm – Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83538379861
- Friday, June 19th at 11am – Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84438664706
In this email, I have also included a copy of a graduation planning sheet we use with all students. This is for your information only – we go through this with kids and I have a copy in progress for all kids who will be in Grade 11 or 12 next year. This form is designed to make sure that the basic requirements for graduation are met; you won’t see check boxes for Grade 12 math or science classes because although they are required for entrance to most post-secondary institutions, they are not required for Grade 12 standing. Those grade 12 classes would be considered elective for the purpose of graduation.
Please know that at this point, completing the surveys below is most important just so that we can make sure we are offering the right courses and that we have reasonable class sizes. Things may change over the summer as we get more information related to COVID-19. You are not committing to anything in stone and we will have processes in place to make sure that we can meet individually with any student/parent who wishes in the fall, to make sure they have a plan that works for them.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Please read the attached document called “Course Offerings 2020”. Review the document called “High School Grad Planning” for an overview of what high school courses are required.
- Complete the appropriate survey by June 22nd for the grade you will be in:
- Attend one of the online Q&A sessions OR phone/email Mrs. Orth with any questions.
- Have a relaxing summer and know that I will connect with kids individually in the fall to make sure that their plan works for them.