- Next weeks Monday rehearsal is a Senior only Band Retreat – There is no Intermediate Winds or Jazz Band rehearsals next week (OCTOBER 5th). Regular rehearsals will resume on the 19th of October. The senior retreat will be held in Allan – All seniors will get on busses as normal. Clavet Seniors will be picked up between 3:30-3:45 by the Aberdeen bus. Students will be returned to their home schools at the regular rehearsal time and will be fed in Allan.
- Check the blogsite for updates over the next couple of weeks. We have had issues logging on to the server but please look out for the following appearing soon:
- All student age groups will have weekly practice assignments and coursework due posted on the site under the “About” tab. This should inform both the students and parents/guardians as to what work has been set in class and serve as a recap.
- Rehearsal notes will also be posted after each rehearsal which gives students feedback on each rehearsal, recaps talking points and addresses individual instrument sections for areas to improve.
- We are working on a built in mailing list on the website that will notify subscribers of page updates and band news. The software is ready to go but it needs installing.
- Dave Carter – Coordinator of Schools and Learning was present at Clavet to address parents on the future direction and growth of music education in Prairie Spirit School Division. Here are the highlights of his speech.
- Beginning Instruments – Any Parents or Students still needing an instrument are again encouraged to Contact Mr. Ward or Mr. Martin to let them know so we can help in anyway possible. All beginner classes will be involving instruments from here forward. Check your schedules (on the schedules tab) to know when to bring your music, instruments, pencils etc.
Below are a couple of ideas to help students starting out:
– Use the method book DVD – there are videos and examples of how to set up your instrument and how to make your first sounds
– Use the fingering charts in the front of the book to find which notes relate to which fingering
– Have the students test themselves on note name recognition and fingering using flash cards (found online) – http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_lesson_resources/flash-cards-tc.htm
– You can see a copy of Anna Shearer (from Allans) Piano composition that she wrote and performed last night, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJM2I7kMTQ
Thank you again for your support:
Will Martin AJ Ward Amy Klippenstein