Good Morning Mustangs!
Tomorrow is our Grade 1-6 Track Day!
Grade 1 to 3 Track and Field Meet
Our Gr. 1 to 3 students will once again be participating in a Standards Meet on Track and Field Day (Thursday, May 30st) A Standards Meet has students participating in traditional Track and Field events but instead of competing against each other, they are competing against pre-determined standards (a first place, second place and third place standards). Standards Meets are common in many elementary schools in our Division.
How Does a Standards Meet Work?
If the pre-determined standards for Ball Throw (for example) are: 1st-85cm 2nd-79cm 3rd-74cm and a student throws between 74cm and 78cm, that student will earn a 3rd Place Ribbon. If a student throws between 80cm and 84cm they will receive a 2nd Place Ribbon and if students throw 85cm or more, they receive a 1st Place Ribbon. There can be multiple students that earn a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place ribbon in each event.
Gr. 1- Running Long Jump, Standing Long Jump, Ball Throw, 60m running and 100m running
Gr. 2- Running Long Jump, Standing Long Jump, Ball Throw, 200m running, 60m running and 100m running
Gr. 3- Running Long Jump, Standing Long Jump, High Jump, Ball Throw, 400m running, 60m running and 100m running
Grade 4 to 6 Track and Field Meet
Students in Gr. 4 to 6 will be participating in a traditional Track and Field Meet on Thursday, May 30st. Students will competed in traditional Track and Field events against each other and can earn 1st through 4th place ribbons. Students at each age level will be placed into 2 groups (makes groups more manageable) and students will participate in all events. Students placing Top 4 will have an opportunity to move on to a Martensville Track Meet on June 19th at Lake Vista School. To determine our Top 4 we will have to compare the results from both groups at each age level (for example comparing the 2 groups of 9 year old boy’s results to determine the Top 4 student athletes).
Events (age as of December 31, 2018)
9 Year Old’s (mostly Gr. 4’s)- Running Long Jump, Standing Long Jump, High Jump, Ball Throw, 400m running, 60m running and 100m running
10 Year Olds (mostly Gr. 5’s)- Running Long Jump, Standing Long Jump, High Jump, Ball Throw, 400m running, 60m running and 100m running
11 & 12 Year Olds (mostly Gr. 6’s)- Running Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Ball Throw, 400m running, 60m running and 100m running
More information about the Martensville Track Meet at Lake Vista will come out as we get closer to June 19th.
General Information About the Day
1.We plan to get started around 9:15 a.m. Students will come to school as they would on any other day and head into their classrooms at the bell. Students will take attendance and then classes will wait for announcements about the day.
2. Students at each Grade level are split into 2 groups (except the Gr. 2 girls) to make groups more manageable. Groups will be assigned their first event, then it will be up to the group leader to determine which event to go to next (there is no schedule for the day).
3. A concession will be open in the gym sometime after 10:00 a.m.
4. Groups will start breaking for lunch sometime around 12:00 p.m. Lunch is a Family Picnic style lunch so families are welcome to eat outside on the grass or at the tables on the tarmac.
5. Students will return to their classes at the 12:43 bell so that classroom teachers can take attendance for the afternoon.
6. Students will find their group leaders after attendance and groups will carry on with completing their events.
7. Once groups are finished, all students will be asked to help do a quick clean-up of the school yard.
8. Students planning to go home with a parent must let the group leader or classroom teacher know. Students who do not leave with parents will remain at school until the 3:00 bell.
We look forward to a great day of students demonstrating their Track and Field Skills on Thursday. We hope you will be able to join us that day to cheer on everyone!
Birthdays: Grady SR (6), Madden U (7), Bradyn W (6)
Have a great day!