Each June, Valley Manor School staff engages in an exhaustive process of creating class lists for the following school year. Our goal is to place students in a setting that is appropriate for each child individually and for the group as a whole. The final placement of a child is a school-based decision that is made using, for example, some of the following criteria:
- Academic needs
- Social needs (individual and group)
- Academic diversity of the group
- Special needs
- Additional classroom assistance (EA Support)
- Independence / dependence
- Role models
- Positive / negative student relationships
- Balance of males to females
- Consultation with other staff involved (resource teacher, consultants, etc.)
- Receiving teachers
Due to the complexities of placing students in classes, decisions are considered complete and final by the time report cards go home. Students will be made aware of who their homeroom teacher is when they receive their June report card.
This upcoming year also puts us in the position of having 2 split classes but as in the past we know that split classrooms are not detrimental to learning but rather often a benefit to students placed in them.
Thank you for your understanding and trust during this process.
Garth Harrison, Principal