Grade 12 Post-Secondary Preparation Timeline 2019-20
ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK DEADLINES AS THEY MAY CHANGE!
Note: Some post-secondary dates can or will change every year. Other dates are generally suggested dates that usually do not change from one year to the next.
- Check out ca. See Academic Counsellor for log in details.
- Watch WHS Announcements DAILY.
- Check Academic Counsellor’s window/wall/door weekly.
As soon as you have applied to the post-secondary institution of your choice, you must submit a transcript request to the Ministry of Education. Do so online at https://www.k12.gov.sk.ca/etranscript/ See end of this document for more information.
- Check your transcript on PowerSchool to make sure you have all the required courses to graduate this year.
- You can apply for First Qualified, First Admitted courses at SaskPolytech. After you have applied, request a preliminary statement of marks from your career counsellor.
- Talk to your counsellor about the Best and Brightest Scholarships if you plan to apply to the U of S and you achieved a 90% average or higher in Grade 11. The average is based on 5 subjects. For full details, go to http://explore.usask.ca/moneymatters/awards/bestandbrightest.php
- Begin searching for scholarships. Remember, scholarships are not just for those with the highest marks.
- Check with your parents’ employers about scholarship programs for employee’s children
- Warman High School Scholarships
- Application available in May
- Warman businesses and individuals contribute to this general fund which requires only 1 application per student
- Last year 66 students received a total of $40,000 from 42 contributors.
- Receiving Post-Secondary School -The program/college/university you plan to attend will have some scholarships and bursaries available to students entering out of high school.
- Pick up WHS Sheet: Scholarship Websites for Students to Check Out
- Scholarship Search Engines
- Update High School Plan on myblueprint.ca It will serve as a great resource for scholarship applications and updating your resume.
- Register for the Fri. Sept 27 University of Saskatchewan Open House at http://explore.usask.ca/tours_and_events/openhouse.php
- Apply for residence or start looking for accommodations if you plan to live away from home. At most post-secondary institutions, you can apply for residence before you apply for admission to the institution.
- Write or make a plan to write SATs or ACTs if you are considering going to the USA for post‐secondary education. See Mrs. Bayne for more information.
- You can start applying for SaskPolytech’s High Demand Courses as early as October 1st. High Demand Courses include Dental Hygiene, Medical Lab Assistant, Medical Radiologic Technology, Power Engineering Technology and Practical Nursing. Review the application procedures at http://saskpolytech.ca/admissions/apply-and-register/admission-processes.aspx. Request a preliminary statement of high school grades from your counsellor if applying for high demand courses.
- October 1: Applications open for the U of R/SaskPolytech’s Saskatchewan Collaborative Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. Go to http://www.sasknursingdegree.ca/admissions.
- October: Applications open for U of S Early Admission.
- October: Applications open for U of S Entrance Awards at http://explore.usask.ca/moneymatters/awards/competitive.php
- October 19: U of R: U of Regina Open House
- November 4: See Your Future Education and Career Fair (Saskatoon) See Mrs. Bayne for details. http://education.seeyourfuture.ca/
- If you are going to attend post-secondary next year, find out when your institute(s) of choice begin accepting applications. Tell your career counsellor once you have applied.
- Register for Discovery Days in Health Sciences at the U of S to explore careers kinesiology, medicine, nursing, nutrition, pharmacy, veterinary medicine and physical therapy. http://explore.usask.ca/events/
- What is Engineering? Hear engineering students, professors and practicing professionals speak about all aspects of engineering. Check with your career counsellor for registration information and deadline as it is usually held in November.
- 1: Deadline for U of S Best and Brightest Scholarships.
- 1: Deadline for U of S Early Admission.
- 1: Deadline for official high school transcript to the U of S for early admission. Do so online at:
- Check to see which scholarships are offered by the institution you plan to attend. Find out what is required for the scholarship application.
- Work on scholarship applications. Be aware of deadlines.
- Prepare for final exams. Marks count!
- U of R and SaskPolytech nursing applicants must submit your Request for High School Transcript for end of Semester 1.
- February 15th: Deadline for most U of S Competitive Entrance Awards
- February 15th: Deadline for U of S Kinesiology and U of S Education
- February 15th: Deadline for SaskPolytech High Demand applications and U of R / SaskPolytech Nursing program
- February 28th: Deadline for final documentation for SaskPolytech High Demand
- March 1: Deadline for submission of marks to U of R / SaskPolytech Nursing program
- March 1: Deadline for supporting documents for U of S Competitive Entrance Colleges.
- March 15th: Deadline for U of S Ag and BioResources
- March 15: Priority application deadline for most U of R programs
- March 15: Deadline for U of R Competitive Entrance Awards and U of R Teacher Application Forms
- SaskPolytech after Hours general Campus tours for parents and prospective students. Check out dates at:
- Apply for the Summer Youth Internship Program if you are interested in a career in trades. Talk to your counsellor or get an applications online at
- Meet with or make an appointment to meet with a post-secondary institute career counsellor at the college/program/university you plan to attend in the fall. They will help you decide how to choose your classes and advise you when that will happen. ( U of S is typically around June 20th.)
- Check with administration or career counsellor re: local scholarships. WHS Scholarship applications will be available on Career Counsellor’s window.
- As soon as you have applied to the post-secondary institution you are attending, you must submit a transcript request to the Ministry of Education. Do so online at https://www.k12.gov.sk.ca/etranscript/ See bottom of this sheet for more information.
- Deadline for the Summer Youth Internship Program
- Use the Canada-Saskatchewan Student Loan Estimator to investigate student loan eligibility at student-loans.sk.ca.
- U of S: Attend U-Start Workshop
- U of R: Attend UR Ready Workshop
- June 1: Deadline for U of S Engineering, Edwards School of Business
- The last week in June is usually when applications open for Canada-Saskatchewan Student Loans. Ensure you are completing for the correct year. The Guide to filling out the paperwork will be available prior to the online application opening.
NOTE: TO REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS:
- You can an request up to 10 transcripts to be sent at different times and to different places so ask for ALL needed for one fee of $20.
- See WHS website Transcript tab for screen shots and directions
- Recommended for each post-secondary institution if applying before Feb. 1st.
1) Send now (Required for admission application.)
2) Send at the end of Semester 1. (Needed to show Grade 12 Sem 1 marks.)
3) Send at the end of Semester 2. (Needed to show final marks after graduation.)
*See Mrs. Bayne if you need help.