What is MaraFun?
The MaraFun is a program was developed by the Saskatoon Road Runners Association (SRRA) in conjunction with the Saskatchewan Marathon. The MaraFun will provide young people (13 and under) a way to participate in the Saskatchewan Marathon in a novel way. Each MaraFun participant will run, walk, or wheelchair a minimum of 4K per week in the weeks leading up to race day. MaraFun participants will cap off their hard work with a fun run in their own community on the race day chosen by their team leader or at the live event. The cost of this program is $20 per student + GST and service fees for early-bird registration. Throughout the program, there are opportunities for the participants to learn about an active lifestyle, maintaining a physical activity program to promote health, and the importance of having personal goals. It is truly a unique way for youth to increase their activity levels, nutritional knowledge, and self-esteem. On Sunday, May 28, you will come together at Diefenbaker Park for the last fun run of the program.
What is all included in the 10 Week Program?
- A MaraFun finisher’s medal.
- A free 10-week easy-to-follow MaraFun training program designed by Craven SPORT Services.
- Access to video sessions with special guest coaches.
- A MaraFun t-shirt with an area to personalize your built-in race bib.
- A digital MaraFun race certificate.
- Access to our MaraFun Private Pagewith additional content, videos and more.
- Chances to win great prizes from the Saskatchewan Marathon partners and sponsors.
- Plus a few surprises in the “MaraFun Race Kits”(sent to the Team Leaders before your Race Day).
How will the WCMS program run?
- The MaraFun program is open to any students Grades 6-8.
- The 10-week program will start the week of March 20.
- Student participants will commit to running THREE times per week. Two sessions will occur right after school (2:50-3:50pm) on Tuesdays and Thursdays and will be led by school staff team leaders. Students (with the support of their families) will commit to doing one independent run each weekend as per the training schedule.
- Students keep track of their own kilometers on a personal log sheet. Students will accumulate a total of 4-7 kilometers each week.
- Each participant must register online with the Sask Marathon/MaraFun program. (details in the next section).
How do students sign-up/register?
- Visit the MaraFun website https://raceroster.com/events/2023/64618/2023-marafun-saskatchewan-marathon and use the yellow ‘REGISTER’ button on the right side of the page.
- The cost of this program is $20 per student plus GST and service fees for early-bird registration.
- Selection the MaraFun Registration INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION USE ONLY option (note parents must sign waiver for students.)
- The sub event is ‘Youth and Student – 10-week’
- Our team’s name is ‘WCMS STORM’
- Our school team leaders will be able to see all the registered students through an online dashboard.
What does the final Race Day on May 28 look like?
- Parents/families are responsible for transporting and supervising their children at the Sask Marathon event. More details on race day will be email to participants by the Sask Marathon closer to the event and the school team will send home a note with specific race day details prior to the marathon Sunday.
- The Sask Marathon is a major event and participants have enjoyed the crowds cheering them on, the activities set and post-run snacks set up at the Marathon.
Please contact Team Leader, Erin Boyle (Grade 6 teacher) at WCMS if you have any questions. Erin.Boyle@spiritsd.ca
Register ASAP as participant T-shirts are in limited quantities.