Hello families! We are so excited to have your child begin Kindergarten at SCP. At South Corman Park, we are committed to ensuring your child has a wonderful school experience, with support from our incredible staff, students, and community. Mrs. Nontell will be beginning Maternity Leave this September, and our wonderful Mrs. Boutin will be filling in to provide an amazing Kindergarten experience for your child and family. We are lucky to have her!
With the unrest and uncertainty COVID has caused, please know your child’s safety and education are our top priorities. We value play-based learning to help with self-regulation, problem solving, and positive peer relationships to not only help them transition to a school environment but also to take agency in their learning.
If you are hoping to help your child get ahead this summer in preparation for Kindergarten, listed below are some skills that will help your child gain independence and confidence in school environment tasks. They include:
- your child sees themselves as a worthy and capable contributor to group discussion and projects
- express emotions
- solve problems ethically and intelligently
- work cooperatively in groups, with acceptance of the differences among members
- practice proper pencil grip
- review of primary colours
- knows basic shapes
- understands size relation of bigger than, smaller than, empty, full, more, less, etc.
- practice drawing and colouring beyond scribbles
- shows interest in books/stories
- recognizes some or all of their name
- recognizes and writes some or all of the letters of the alphabet
- recognizes and writes some or all of numbers up to 10
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at Lisa.email@example.com as I will be checking my email weekly through the summer. We are so excited to have you at South Corman Park, welcome to our family!