Spring has sprung!
We cannot believe that there are less than 2 months left of Kindergarten. Where has the time gone? We have been keeping busy in the classroom and have also been going outside as often as we can.
Math – we are learning about shapes. We even went on a shape scavenger hunt around the school. We found lots!
ELA – we have been looking at the differences between fiction and non-fiction (or unfiction as some of us say!) books. We are using sticky-notes to mark new learning in our books. We keep working hard in Animated Literacy with Mrs. McGregor.
Phys. Ed.- we have been playing cooperative games and continu-ing to work on our throwing/catching skills.
Science- the plants in our room are growing like crazy. We also have caterpillars (thanks Mrs. Kelbough) that we’re watching transform!
A few important dates:
May 20: Kindergarten Orientation (10-11AM)
May 22: Kindergarten Orientation (1-2PM)
May 26: Kindergarten Orientation (1-2PM)
May 28: Fieldtrip to BPs and Wet Paint Pottery. Bus leaves at 9:30, back by 2:30.
May 30: Trip planned to the local greenhouse
June 5: Elementary Track & Field Play Day at Hanley School
June 23: Kindergarten Learning Celebration 7-8PM
As always, feel free to pop in to see us whenever you get the chance. Our door is always open and we love visitors!
~The Kindergartens & Mrs. Martineau
Despite all of these indoor recesses, we’ve been having a great time in Kindergarten! In Math we continue to work on counting from 0-10 and back from 10-0. We’ve also been practicing writing those numerals. It’s been a bit of a challenge and we would benefit from more practice at home! We love working with Mrs. McGregor on our letters and their sounds in Animated Literacy. Reader’s Workshop has us busy making connections to our reading and learning how to treat our books and our classroom library. Phys. Ed. keeps us motoring around in the gym practicing our passing skills. We like try new ways of passing things to our classmates: rolling, bouncing, throwing, kicking, etc. We loved having so many families come in to visit and share with us. We are currently working on a project where we discuss the cultures and traditions within our classroom and community. We love learning about one another! Our Grade 7 buddies are awesome! We recently made placemats with them for our Valentine’s Day Potluck. We love to do different projects and read with them!
Stop by any time to see how we’re doing–but just a warning: you’re going to want to stay!
We have started the new year rolling! We are continuing to have a lot of fun with our Grade 7 buddies. We get to read with them 2 out of 3 of our K days! We’re having a Valentine’s Day Potluck with them on February 14th that we’re really excited about. They’re bringing soup and sandwiches and we’re supplying the chocolate milk and desserts. Mmm!
We’ve really been enjoying the warmer weather (indoor recesses stink!).
We love the big snow hills in our schoolyard and we’ve been having so much fun sledding. One afternoon we made snow volcanoes in the soccer field! It made the snow look like snow cones…but we didn’t eat it!
We have a new “reading tent” on our carpet. It’s been a warm and cozy spot to dive into a book. In Math we’ve been working on numbers from 0-5. We really like to sing about “5 Little Monkeys” and “5 Hot Dogs”. We’ve still been working hard at Animated Literacy with Mrs. McGregor each morning. We’re starting to get the hang of our letter sounds! We just created watercolour masterpieces of “What Winter Looks Like To Me”. You can admire them outside of our classroom.
Enjoy the beautiful weather (while it lasts)!
~The Kindergartens & Mrs. Martineau
We have been having a great time in Kindergarten this month.
Here are a few things that we’re keeping busy with:
- Math: We had a lot of fun with patterns and now we’re moving into sorting and describing. Ask us about our “Touchy-Feely Boxes”.
- ELA: We have been busy with our ‘Story Acting’. Not only do we love writing our stories, we especially love to perform them! We have also been reading piles and piles of awesome books. We love to do Reader’s Responses. You can check out some of our work in the hallway outside of the classroom! We’ve also been having a blast with Mrs. McGregor working on ‘Animated Literacy’. We love to learn about letters of the alphabet!
- Phys. Ed: We’ve been learning how to move our bodies in different ways. We’ve been crawling, sliding, rolling, hopping, etc. all over the place!
- Social Studies: November was a great time for us to start learning about Remembrance Day, war, and peace! We’ve been learning that peace has many forms and can look different to different people.
- Creative Play: We just got a PILE of recycled dress-up clothes. Let’s just say that there are about 85 costume changes during the day now! Thank-you to Andrea Townsend and the figure skating club for dropping those off for us.
- Exciting: We are about to launch our “My Family” project. We want to learn about all of the Kindergarten families. The focus question is: “What’s Important to My Family?” I’d like to invite all families into the classroom during November/December to share with us what’s important to your family! This will look different to all families. It might be Dad coming in to share a family recipe with us, Mom coming in to read the favourite bedtime story in their family, Grandma coming in to tell a story about traditions in the family, or anything else that you’d like to do with your child(ren) to share with us about your family! Please remember that this is an invitation, not something that is mandatory! I am very aware that you are all very busy people! Email me if you’d like to book a time!
- November Kindergarten: 5, 7, 12, 14, 18, 20, 22, 27, and 29th
- December Kindergarten: 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, and 20th
- Christmas Concert: Tuesday, December 17th (more info to come soon)
- K-12 Christmas Banquet: Friday, December 20th