Laird School is a K-8 school in Laird, Saskatchewan. Our school is a part of Prairie Spirit School Division.
8:40 First Bell
8:47 Classes Begin
10:45 Recess (15 minutes)
12:00 Lunch Break (eat inside until 12:15)
12:50 Classes Resume
2:00 Recess (15 minutes)
Severe Weather and Student Transportation:
(PSSD Policy 805)
To guide school bus service cancellation due to inclement weather. Because of the Division’s geographic size, it is possible that inclement weather conditions may affect parts of the Division when
other parts are unaffected. As a result, the Division believes that enabling procedures for local discretion in dealing with inclement weather conditions is both prudent and appropriate. Schools remain open for staff and students despite inclement weather and will only be closed in the event of a threat to health and/or safety. Parents are welcome to transport their children to school at any time during the regular school day, whether buses are running or not.
Buses are not to run in the morning if the temperature is -40 degrees Celsius or the combined temperature/windchill factors result in a reading of -45 degrees Celsius or below at 6:00am.
Bus routes cancelled at 6:00am are expected to operate on their regular routes at the end of the school day, provided that the temperatures reported at 12:00 noon are warmer than -40 degrees Celsius or -45 degrees Celsius (combined temperature/windchill).
Bus routes that operate in the morning will operate at the end of the school day, even if the temperature is -40 degrees Celsius or lower or the combined temperature/windchill is -45 degrees Celsius.
Prairie Spirit School Division expects that student conduct on school buses is to be consistent with that expected of the student in the classroom. Students riding the school bus shall cooperate with the driver in the safe and efficient operation of the bus. A student who fails to abide by the rules or who misbehaves on the bus may be denied bus transportation.
1. Be ready to leave on schedule in the morning and evening.
2. Show respect for driver, equipment, other students and their personal space.
3. Stay in the seat assigned by the bus driver.
4. Remain seated and facing forward on the bus.
5. Quiet conversation with close neighbors is allowed.
6. Eating or drinking on the bus is not permitted. Water will be allowed.
7. Windows are to be adjusted only with permission of the bus driver. Keep head and arms inside the bus at all times.
8. Student personal items and books must be placed near feet or on lap.
9. The aisle must be kept clear of objects at all times.
10. Students must promptly obey instructions of the driver.
11. Dress properly in winter.
12. Proceed directly home when disembarking from the bus.
13. Notify the driver any time they do not plan to ride on the bus or if there will be guests on the bus route.
Remember: students are responsible and accountable to the Principal and Bus Driver for conduct and behaviour on the bus.
To attend special functions and educational trips, transportation is often required. Students may be transported by school bus or by private vehicle drivers. All private vehicle drivers are required to have filled out the Prairie Spirit Driver Authorization form yearly, which states that the vehicle has $2 million liability insurance and that the driver has no traffic offenses. Volunteer drivers are required to submit the Driver Authorization Form and Criminal Records Check / Vulnerable Sector Search to the school office before transporting students. The Driver Authorization Form is to be submitted annually, while the Criminal Records Check is kept on file until a change is indicated. Volunteer drivers will be assigned students to transport, and are responsible for the return transport of those students unless otherwise arranged and communicated with teachers and parents. This form can be found on the “Laird School” tab in this website.