Just a reminder that it is the Senior Band Retreat in Allan this coming Monday. There is no Intermediate Band Rehearsal.
In lieu of the Intermediate rehearsal please watch this space Intermediate Assignment October 5th for a home practice assignment for all Intermediates. *The assignment will also be posted on the Intermediate Band page.
Senior Bussing to Allan
- Hanley Students to leave school 15 mins early – 2:50pm
- Clavet Students will be picked up by the Hanley Bus between 3:20-3:40om (BE READY)
- Aberdeen Students will be bussed as normal.
- Allan Students will meet at Allan School Bandroom after school.
What to bring: Music, Instrument, Pencil and notepad, Extra money for drinks/snacks outisde of supper which is provided.
- Next weeks Monday rehearsal is a Senior only Band Retreat – There is no Intermediate Winds or Jazz Band rehearsals next week (OCTOBER 5th). Regular rehearsals will resume on the 19th of October. The senior retreat will be held in Allan – All seniors will get on busses as normal. Clavet Seniors will be picked up between 3:30-3:45 by the Aberdeen bus. Students will be returned to their home schools at the regular rehearsal time and will be fed in Allan.
- Check the blogsite for updates over the next couple of weeks. We have had issues logging on to the server but please look out for the following appearing soon:
- All student age groups will have weekly practice assignments and coursework due posted on the site under the “About” tab. This should inform both the students and parents/guardians as to what work has been set in class and serve as a recap.
- Rehearsal notes will also be posted after each rehearsal which gives students feedback on each rehearsal, recaps talking points and addresses individual instrument sections for areas to improve.
- We are working on a built in mailing list on the website that will notify subscribers of page updates and band news. The software is ready to go but it needs installing.
- Dave Carter – Coordinator of Schools and Learning was present at Clavet to address parents on the future direction and growth of music education in Prairie Spirit School Division. Here are the highlights of his speech.
- Beginning Instruments – Any Parents or Students still needing an instrument are again encouraged to Contact Mr. Ward or Mr. Martin to let them know so we can help in anyway possible. All beginner classes will be involving instruments from here forward. Check your schedules (on the schedules tab) to know when to bring your music, instruments, pencils etc.
Below are a couple of ideas to help students starting out:
– Use the method book DVD – there are videos and examples of how to set up your instrument and how to make your first sounds
– Use the fingering charts in the front of the book to find which notes relate to which fingering
– Have the students test themselves on note name recognition and fingering using flash cards (found online) – http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_lesson_resources/flash-cards-tc.htm
– You can see a copy of Anna Shearer (from Allans) Piano composition that she wrote and performed last night, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJM2I7kMTQ
Thank you again for your support:
Will Martin AJ Ward Amy Klippenstein
Monday, September 28th 18th ANNUAL “SQUEAK & SQUAWK” and Open House
BEGINNER BAND CLINIC NIGHT @ CLAVET COMPOSITE SCHOOL 6 – 8:30pm
WHAT: The Squeak and Squawk is an annual fall welcome back for the PSSD East music department combined with Beginning Band start up. In one night beginners are taught basic introductions to their instrument, how to assemble and clean their instrument and how to correctly play their first few notes. Then students will have their first performance at the end of the night! The Squeak and Squawk is an equivalent of two weeks of normal class instruction rolled into one night, so attendance is vital.
This night also combines a chance for parents to meet the teachers and the Band Parents AGM. Refreshments will be available.
WHERE: Clavet Composite School, Clavet. When students come into the building they will pick up their music book and instrument (if rented and not already collected from St.Johns Music). Students will then be directed to their clinic rooms for each instrument. Beginner students will need to be transported to and from the event. Intermediate and Seniors will be bussed to Clavet after school for rehearsal but will need transport home.
WHEN: All Beginners should aim to arrive between 5:30 and 5:45 so they can begin their clinics at 6pm. Senior students will be making presentations about each instrument at 5:45pm
- 5:30-5:45pm – Students arrive at Clavet.
- 6pm (- 7:30pm) – Students take part in the squeak and squawk clinics
- 6:15pm – 7:15pm – Meet the Teachers (Mr Ward, Ms. Klippenstein and Mr. Martin will be on hand to answer any questions about the band program)
- 7:15pm – Band Parents Association A.G.M.
- 7:30pm – 2015 Squeak and Squawk Mini Concert (Intermediate/Senior/Beginner Bands)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Instrument and accessories (ex: reeds if applicable)
- All Instrument Cleaning Supplies
- Bottle of Water
- Regular casual dress for all students
- If you need an instrument please contact Mr Martin or Mr Ward as soon as possible (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prairie Spirit East Music Programs
It is with great excitement that we are enrolling for another year of music classes in the Prairie Spirit East seven communities! With the East Division rehearsal set to resume next Monday, September 14, 2015, we are making plans for many more exciting musical opportunities in the coming year. These are some opportunities you will not want to miss!
It is never too late to start or return to exploring music within the division’s musical community. All students from grade 5-12 are welcome to join, whether you are in the beginning stages of learning an instrument, or have had some past musical experiences and desire to return to an instrument.
Why study music?
- Sharpens memory
- Helps in the study of languages
- Improves handwriting
- It helps with emotional expression
- Improves intellectual ability
- Teaches you discipline
- Gives you a sense of achievement
- Relieves stress
- Helps improve your musical tastes
- It’s fun!
Please see the attached information package for more benefits the studying music.
While Beginner Band is taught exclusively within the regular school day, Intermediate, Senior and Jazz Bands rehearsals are also held at Clavet for all seven schools on Monday evenings, giving the students to both experience playing in a larger group and making new friends from different communities and backgrounds!
Please feel free to attend our open house and Squeak and Squawk event at Clavet on Monday September 28th for more information about our band program, and to experience our music program in action. We hope to see you there!
Mr. Martin/Ms. Klippenstein Mr. Ward
Aberdeen, Allan, Clavet, Colonsay, South Corman Park Dundurn, Hanley
Spring Concert – Monday, June 1st – Final Details
o Lakeview Church (Same as Winter Concert)
o The Seniors and Advanced students will be picked up after school and taken directly to Lakeview Church so we can have a quick on stage rehearsal and get everything set up beforehand. Remember to bring a packed supper and concert dress!
- Bus 1: Colonsay, Allan and Clavet
- Bus 2: Aberdeen
- Bus 3: Hanley, Dundurn and SCP
o The Beginner students are to arrive at 6:15PM in their concert dress (white dress shirt/blouse, black dress pants or skirt, black socks/leggings and black shoes) with music and instrument (and reeds).
o There will be music in the foyer at Lakeview Church starting around 6:30PM (including the Junior Jazz Band).
o The main concert will start at 7:00PM
o Students will NOT be bussed back to their schools. Parents need to pick them up and drive them home.
- * Parent Volunteer Request*
o We will need some parent volunteers to help supervise rooms before the concert starts. If you are available please email Mr. Martin or Mr. Streisel before Monday, June 1st.
Please do not hesitate in contacting either band director with any questions or concerns.
Will Martin & Adam Streisel
Band Directors Prairie Spirit East
The annual Beginner and Advanced band day retreat is almost upon us. On May 23rd All Beginner and Advanced Band students need to attend the retreat at Clavet. This is a hugely important event for several reasons. This is the only chance beginning students will have to meet as a group to prepare for the June 1st Final Concert and also the chance to work with a guest director. All students also get to work intensively with instrument specific professional musicians from across Saskatchewan to help with their individual parts.
Where: Clavet School
When: All students need to be at Clavet for 8:50am to start at 9am.
What: Students need to bring; music, instrument, pencil, water bottle and a packed lunch.
Students will be provided with a pizza party supper.
8:50am – Arrive
9-10:30 – Beginning Band Sectionals with Guest Musicians
Advanced Band Rehearsal
10:30-11 – Break
11-12:30 – Advanced Band Sectionals with Guest Musicians
Beginning Band Rehearsal
12:30-1:15 – Lunch
1:15-2:15 – Joint Rehearsal with Dr. Peter Meechan
2:15-2:30 – Break
2:30 – 4:00 – Activities
4-6pm – Pizza party and Film
6pm – Depart
Please do not hesitate in contacting either band director with any questions or concerns.
Will Martin Adam Streisel
Band Director Prairie Spirit East Band Director Prairie Spirit East
Tel: 306 281 9930 Tel: 306 262 2326
Unfortunately due to several other groups not being able to commit to the Division Music Monday Concert at Lakeview Church the evening concert will be postponed until next year. Normal evening rehearsals for Advanced band will take place at Clavet. Senior Rehearsal will not happen due to the tour.
With several schools being closed tomorrow and the 7-12 Clavet Ski Trip happening, Division Rehearsal has reluctantly been cancelled for Monday March 23rd. Our last rehearsal before the Easter break will take place on Monday May 30th.
Students in the meantime need to practice at home on the following pieces:
– Afterburn – Harry Potter — Ancient Voices
– Paper Cut – John Williams Collection – Zenith