On March 9, the Board of Education approved in principle the following grade configurations for Martensville schools for the 2017/18 school year:
- Valley Manor – Pre-Kindergarten to 8
- Venture Heights – Pre-Kindergarten to 8
- The new school in Lake Vista –(P3) – Pre-Kindergarten to 8
- Martensville High – 9 to 12
This grade configuration is a change from the plan that was developed prior to the building of the new high school. A large determining factor is that the mandate from the provincial government for the new school (Lake Vista) is to be a K-8 school. The school board wanted the other two schools to remain consistent with it.
This decision by the Board was made following much consultation with school administration and through consultation with the three existing School Community Councils on November 17, 2014.
***Approving in principle means that feedback, new enrolment projections or other factors may require a change to the grade configurations prior to school startup in 2017. That said, a change to these configurations would require new information that would profoundly impact the approved grade configurations.
1. We are Silent- Did you know that 30% of students ages 12-18 have been bullied? Gr. 6-8 students, if this concerns you please come to Ms. Nickel’s office today at recess to find out more information about “We Are Silent”.
2. Student Leadership Team (SLT)- there is a quick meeting today at 12:30 in Ms. Nickel’s office.
3. Pink Day- Thank you to all students and staff who wore pink today in support of those who have been bullied and bullying awareness. Pink Day originated when a male student in another school wore a pink shirt and was made fun of (bullied) by others because of the colour of his shirt. Other students (bystanders) saw this take place and decided to take action by rallying other students at that school to wear pink the next day.
4. Chocolate Sale- Thank you to everyone who has returned their chocolate money. You will receive your chocolate bunny this afternoon. A reminder to those who have chocolates at home that are not selling to please return them tomorrow so that others can sell them during the break.
5. Lost and Found- Today and tomorrow are your last days to check for any lost items. Unclaimed items will be donated to charity during the Easter Break.
6. Anyone who helped set up or take down tables and chairs for the Choir Performance we would like to THANK YOU and treat you to a dessert at recess in the front foyer.
7. Safety Patrol- Team B continues this week.
Happy Birthday: Bailey B. in Gr. 4 and Halle D. in Gr. 6
Thank you to everyone who has sold all of their chocolates and returned their money this week. If you have a box at home that is not selling and you do not plan to sell please return it on Thursday so that we can give it to those who would like to sell a second or third box. The last day to return chocolates and/or money is Wednesday, April 15th. Thank you to everyone who has supported our SCC’s annual fundraiser.
1. Did you know that 31 million primary school-aged girls are out of school? If you are in Gr. 6-8 and this upsets you, you can participate in a day called “We Are Silent”. If you are interested please go see Ms. Nickel in her office Wednesday at recess.
2. Pink Day- Tomorrow is Pink Day at VMS to help show support of Anti-Bullying and Bullying Awareness. We ask that all students and staff wear pink to show their support!
3. Chocolate Sale- Thank you to those who returned unsold chocolates today so that other can sell them over the Easter Break. If you have a box that is not selling just sitting at home please return it tomorrow so others can sell. Please hand in any money you have to the office this morning.
4. Choir- Practice today in the gym at 12:30. Good luck to our Choir as they host their Spring Choir Performance and Dessert night tonight in the gym from 7:00-8:30.
5. Lost and Found- Only 3 more days to check for lost items. Unclaimed items will be donated to charity during the break.
6. Safety Patrol Team B is on this week, please check the schedule to see if you are on today.
Happy Birthday: Makenna E. in Gr. 2, Emma E in Gr. 3 and Amina T. in Kindergarten
1. Newspaper Team- No team meeting this week.
2. Team B is on Safety Patrol this week. Mrs. Chiesa will deliver the schedules before 10 a.m.
3. Chocolate Sale- Thank you to those student who returned their unsold cases. We have a list of people wanting to sell a second or third case. If you are not going to sell your chocolates please return them by Wednesday this week. Please hand in money and chocolates to the office when you are finished. Thank you!
Happy Birthday: Denver S. in Gr. 1
Each day throughout the year at VMS we work hard to be Respectful, Responsible, Caring and Sharing citizens. On Wednesday, April 1st all 3 Martensville Schools will be encouraging students and staff to wear Pink Clothing in a show of support for Anti-Bullying in our schools and community. We appreciate your support!