On Monday, October 1st, we will be recognizing Orange Shirt Day at Lake Vista School.
What is Orange Shirt Day?
Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013. It grew out of the story of a girl having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.
The date was chosen because it is the time of year in which children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year.
Orange Shirt Day is also an opportunity for Canadians, local governments, schools and communities to come together in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations of children to come.
Orange Shirt Day at LVS
- Students are encouraged to wear an orange shirt on Oct. 1st. Stickers will also be available for each student with ‘Every Child Matters’ printed on them.
- Remember that Orange Shirt Day is about honoring that children matter and schools are a place to feel safe and loved for ALL children.
How does parent engagement benefit families?
- Parents find it easier to help their child learn
- Increased communication between home and school
- Feeling confident when talking to school staff
- Social support networks increase, parents are connected to other parents in our school
- Parents have a better understanding of the roles of teachers and principals
- Better access to information about school structure and curriculum
Lake Vista SCC
Dear parent or caregiver:
The annual Terry Fox School Run is coming up on Sept. 27th. This year our school has a goal of raising $600 or $2 a student. The Terry Fox Foundation has a great reputation, with $.82 cents of every dollar raised going directly to cancer research. You can donate online by visiting our school fundraising page: http://www.terryfox.ca/LakeVistaSchool.
What are the benefits of parent engagement for students?
- Increased student achievement and engagement
- Improved student behaviour
- Enhanced social skills
- Building a positive attitude about both school and home
- Promotes positive learning outcomes
Lake Vista SCC
Happy Friday Lake Vista!
- SLT Applications are due to Mrs. Gaudet by Monday.
Happy Birthday – 21st: Baeden B. (1H) Cohen G. (PK) Jackson S. (3P) 23rd: Asher B. (PK) Yvonne D. (PK) Leah D. (4/5) Ruby D. (5P)